Recipe : Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs

This shouldn't come as a surprise but we're big on football in this house.  Typically once football season rolls around, Sunday nights usually mean pizza for dinner but we had some friends over to watch the game recently and I decided we should do something a little different for food.  (So while I wrote all the ingredients and directions down on a piece of paper, I cannot for the life of me remember where I found the link.)  The husband pointed out the recipe for Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs looking mighty fine so that's what we did!







Can we discuss the amazingness that are slow cooker bags?  Discovered these things recently (yes, I'm slow to the game) and they're so awesome!  I'm no longer gagging while I clean the overnight soaked remnants out anymore.  Moving on!
Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs Recipe

Ingredients
  • Fresh mozzarella (I used a 'brick', for lack of a better term, that was about 7-8 inches long and that was definitely too much.  I had way more mozzarella than meat.
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 pound Italian sausage
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 1 cup bread crumbs
  • 1/4 C Parmesan.  Use the shredded or flaked Parmesan, not the powdered canister kind...you know which kind I'm talkin' 'bout ;)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 C milk
  • 1/2 C parsley
  • Jar of spaghetti sauce.  I used the homestyle marinara by Emeril.

Directions
  • Cut the mozzarella into roughly 1" cubes.
  • Put the remaining ingredients all into a large bowl.
  •  Combine with your hands.  Yes, it's kinda gross.  You could probably use a mixer to do this but I went the old fashioned 'by hand' route.
  • Form the meat mixture into about plum size meatballs.  Take a cube of mozzarella and sort of smoosh it into the middle of a meatball and bring the edges back over it so it still looks like a meatball.
  • Put a layer of sauce on the bottom of the crock pot and then add a layer of meatballs.  Keep doing this until you've used all your meatballs: sauce, meatballs, sauce, meatballs.  Et cetera ad nauseum.
  • Cover the crock pot and cook on high for 2 - 2.5 hours.  
I ate mine plain but the husband cooked up a little spaghetti to go with his.  Either way, these things are tha bomb.  Enjoy!

No comments