Winter Health...is it even possible?

Winter.  My 2nd favorite season.  I like the cold, the snow...pretty much all it has to offer.  Except all the gross germs and bugs going around.  We've been lucky with getting one cold back in December buuuut it was followed oh so closely by the super nasty stomach flu that swept the country (world even??).  It hit all. of. us.  Misery is a sick mama taking care of her sick baby/babies.  Can I get an amen?!

With that being said, we are a relatively healthy household and I attribute it in part to our healthy eating, being physically active and also due to the fact that ALL of us take probiotics.  I've long been a fan of probiotics and I gotta say, I don't think they're all just fluff.  I've mentioned how great I think they are in passing to people and sometimes I get the side eye 'weirdo health nut hippie' looks and I usually get the response of, 'there's probiotics in yogurt...that's all I need.'  Yes, most yogurts do have probiotics in them but they're in such a small amount, they're really not going to be hugely beneficial.  So what the heck are probiotics?  Well, lemme tell ya ;)  Probiotics are good bacteria that help keep a good balance going in your intestines and can help boost your immune system.  They're especially helpful if you need to take antibiotics because unfortunately, antibiotics aren't discriminatory when it comes to killing bacteria.  They'll wipe out both bad AND good bacteria, which can then lead to secondary infections that are downright miserable.

I finally got the hubby on the probiotic track recently and we've been taking these particular bad boys. 
You can either take one in the morning and one at night on an empty stomach but since I'm not the best at remembering to take pills, I just take mine both in the morning before breakfast.  We're lucky enough that our local grocery store has a small natural health area and these are in there.  They're super affordable...like $15 for a bottle.  You can't beat that.  If your store doesn't carry them, I know you can find them here

I'll be honest, I didn't realize you could give infants probiotics until Selah's awesome pediatrician suggested it to me the first time she had a cold. 
Nature's Way makes the one we use and it's great because it's in a powder form and all I did was add it to Selah's bottle when she was an infant and now every morning when she wakes up, she gets a sippy cup with her daily dose and she never notices it's in there.  This little tub lasts for-ever since she only gets 1/2 teaspoon a day right now.

I truly feel like they've made a difference in our overall health and if we can keep everybody healthy the natural way, then I'm all for it.  So take that winter germies!

No comments