No More Sheet . . . A DIY Chair Reupholstery Project

While I consider myself a rather competent DIY'er, one thing I've never done is reupholster furniture.  Frankly because it scares the bejeezus out of me.  Hemming curtains, spray painting faucets...those all seem like a cake walk compared to tackling a piece of furniture that someone actually has to use and look at and if you do it wrong, then you're left with a monstrosity that looks like I let my toddler go to town on it.

About 3 years ago when the hubby and I were living the childless life in a sweet townhouse near downtown Denver, one of our neighbors was moving and put this gem out on his front step with a "Free" sign on it.  We nabbed it a little too quickly; I'm sure we looked like we were homeless the way we descended on this faded chair like vultures.  Yes, this chair is faded and worn but what you can't see from the first photo is that this chair is old.  And old means 'well made'!  Something you just don't get from most furniture today.  Oh yeah, and it's super comfy and deep.  So we got it home and realized it was a little too faded and worn for my liking and so I decided that it would be reupholstered.  Minor problem...I had no idea how to even start doing such a project.  Luckily my mom did and she helped me remove all the old fabric, staples and nails.  In reality, I sat there in my 5 months pregnant glory while she did all the removing.  And boy did it take a long time.  Once the removing process started, I realized just how seriously well made this chair was.  And also if a tornado were to rip through the house, it would probably still be in one piece.  It and all of its 15 million nails and staples.




So when you're removing fabric, make sure you write on each piece of where it came from and which direction is up.  So so helpful when I finally got around the recovering the darn thing 2 years after this.


At the time, my mom suggested we take photos of the removal process and again, very glad I did because if there's anything 2 years and having a baby will do to you, it will keep you from barely remembering even taking the chair apart, let alone how the pieces went back together.

Okay, so let's fast forward 2 years from the removal process.  I had spent hours (no joke) picking out a fabric that I wanted for the chair.  This chair has been sitting in Selah's room with a sheet over it's half dissected carcass and not only did it have to look good in her room, but I wanted it to be in a fabric that would be universal when it came time to changing her room over to a big girl room because I didn't plan on doing this more than once!  Since her room is already gray and yellow, I went with this design that I thought would go well with another color scheme in the future since gray is pretty neutral.


My little helper...inspecting my carefully laid out pattern.

 I decided to start on the front piece.  It was surprisingly easy for an upholstery noob like myself.  Not so easy?  Getting the nail head trim in a straight line...the nails are too soft for the insanely hard wood of the chair.  Don't worry...I didn't leave them looking all wonky and ghetto looking.
The start of the nailhead trim going on along the sides.  I feel like it really finishes it off nicely.
So the cushion part wasn't done entirely properly.  Like at all.  But ask me how much I care.  Let me reiterate how old this chair was and when I went to pull the cushion cover off, it was pretty much disintegrating into this nasty yellow dust all over my floor.  I really didn't want to have to touch it more than I had to and so instead of ripping the seams out and making a pattern out of those pieces, I did a super professional job of tracing the actual cushion.  Please, don't all rush to pat me on the back for my corner cutting.  However, I did sew the cushion pieces together (as you should) and while it's not as tight against the cushion as I'd like, this isn't going on display in Pottery Barn for someone to buy so I'm okay with it.
The finished product with my happy little book worm.  I'm more than thrilled with how it turned out.  Is it 100% perfect looking?  Nope but I love it and it looks much better without a sheet draped over it :)

No comments