Fall Burlap Wreath Tutorial

No big shocker that I've been dying for fall weather to roll around here so I can not only start wearing cool weather clothes and stop being a miserably hot pregnant lady but also so that I can do some fall decorating.  I'm not sure what's up with Colorado's weather lately but it's seriously disappointing.  We've had a couple of awesomely cool and rainy days but then it will stay in the upper 70's and sometimes 80's for days.  Sorry but what the crap Colorado!  If I wanted to still be wearing shorts (not a good look right now, trust me), I'd be in Texas or Florida!  Anyway, enough of my hormonal tirade about the weather.


We're much more of the decorate for fall and not Halloween type of decorators around here.  Classy fall, I like to call it.  I had a few items that I picked up last year at Michael's that I knew I'd be using again.  I seriously love the white pumpkin look and you can get 3 different sizes of these plastic (?) white pumpkins at Michael's, along with the super cute scarecrow too.  I grabbed the straw bale from our local feed store and the 4 different orange pumpkins from our grocery store because they were way cheaper than getting them at the pumpkin patch.  Yes, we go to the pumpkin patch at least a couple times to do all the fun thing there but I have an issue spending $20+ on 1 single pumpkin.  Yes, I'm a cheapskate and Selah doesn't care where they come from as long as she has one.

So while I was loving the front stoop decor, I knew I needed a new fall themed wreath for the front door.  Because we certainly don't want some summer themed wreath wrecking the fung shui up there.  How declasse'.  Just kidding.  I scoured trusty Pinterest for some ideas of what I'd like to have and decided that I definitely wanted burlap and I figured I'd get accent inspiration while browsing the aisles of Michael's.

 
And this is what I came up with and it was pretty easy if I do say so myself!  Never mind the Christmas wreath hanger on the door.  It's not a Santa so it works.

So what do you need?  I grabbed an 18" floral frame wreath, a sprig/branch/twig/whatever the heck you want to call it of faux fall leaves, a roll of some fall-ish looking ribbon and a 20 foot roll of burlap.  I should've grabbed 2 while I was already at Michael's but truth be told, I 'knew' I had another roll of burlap floating around the house somewhere and would use that.  Yeah...never found it so I had to run back to grab another roll.
  • Wreath: $4
  • Leaves: $3
    • Burlap: $7 x2.  I had a 50% coupon for one of these.  Michael's regularly has 40% off one item coupons on their website you can use.
  • Ribbon: $3 (I believe but it wasn't more than $4)
  • Total cost (minus the hot glue gun burns): $24.  There are lots of places online that sell similar wreaths for $50+.

First start by wrapping and weaving an end of the burlap around the wreath frame.  See?  Technical photo showing my professional weaving ;)

Then, just weave in and out or over and under on up the frame, jooshing and fluffing as you go. 

Once you've made your way back around to the starting point, just weave the ends in and secure as best you can.  You can see that there's a bit of a spot that's not as full as the rest but since I was going to be adding the leaves, I wasn't too worried since I knew they would cover that area.

Busting out my handy glue gun, I just arranged them in a way I liked and glued them in to the burlap and frame as best I could.

Okay, now the bow.  I will be the first to admit that I have no idea how to make a full, fancy bow.  There were pre-made bows at Michael's that I could have bought but again, my cheap side won over and I grabbed the roll of ribbon for $3 to make my own and saved a few bucks.  I seriously had no idea what I was doing but just kinda rolled and folded and hot glued the bow until I was happy with how it looked.

So there ya have it!  A fall wreath that is somewhat idiot proof, affordable and has your door lookin' good!

No comments