What's for breakfast?

Pinterest is both a blessing and a curse in my house.  I've found some amazing ideas and recipes off there...and at the same time it can make any mom feel like a complete failing loser for not making every day for her kids look like it came straight from the 1000 times over re-pinned board of How To Be The Best Mom Ever.  That being said, I was on the hunt for some healthier breakfast ideas for Selah and looked to the ol' Pinterest for, at the very least, some inspiration.  This was partly due to the fact that after perusing our local grocery store's healthy/organic breakfast section, I discovered I have a small issue with paying $4 for a box of 6 frozen pancakes that half of which will more than likely end up flung on the floor or secretly fed to the dogs while I'm not looking. 

Pumpkin pancakes piqued my interest so I decided to give them a try and it ever so conveniently happened that I had all the ingredients, including the pumpkin puree.  That would be thanks to my attempt at making Pumpkin Pie Fudge last month for my husband's work Christmas party.  They turned out great but had so much freaking sugar in them (I swear it was like 10 cups powdered and granulated) that I dang near went into diabetic shock just sampling the pieces that fell off while trying to cut them into squares.  I decided my major organs couldn't handle anymore so one batch was enough which left me with an extra can of pumpkin puree and for some weird reason, 5 cans of evaporated milk.  Go figure.

So I busted out my box of pancake mix, Bisquick's Heart Smart, and measured based off the Pancake recipe on the side.  By the way, I fudged my way through most of the ingredients on this.    Or I believe the correct term is called, eyeballing it.  I used half a can of the pumpkin puree and to make it a little more festive, tossed in 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.

 It never fails; I always make a huge mess when it comes to floury type mixes.





I made mini pancakes with my batter since Selah loved the frozen mini buttermilk ones we were buying previously and the little ones seem to interest her more.  With a little dab of Smart Balance butter and a very light dollop of syrup, she was a big fan of these. Woohoo...mommy success!

No comments