Big Girl Room Inspiration

To say that I'm kind of obsessive about planning for things loooong off into the future would be an understatement.  I started getting ideas together for Selah's 1st birthday party like 4 months before.  Dan thought I was crazy but hey, all my ideas came together and it looked great, if you'd like to know.  So for a few months now, I've been thinking of how I'd like to change Selah's room over to her big girl room.  We knew that any future kids would have the crib she's in and she would take the awesome 4-poster/canopy bed I had from about age 2 through high school.  That being said, we didn't want to move her into that gargantuan bed too early and decided that instead of transforming her bed into the toddler version and then again moving her into the big full size bed, we'd just go crib to big bed for less of a traumatizing experience.  I say 'less traumatizing' now because we have yet to actually move her into said big bed but that's a task for this weekend actually.  Wish us luck.  *Update: we moved Selah into her new bed Saturday night and that was a rough night to say the least.  She totally flipped out when we walked out of her room and after 3-4 episodes of her running out screaming and dad putting her back to bed, falling out of the bed in the middle of the night and waking up 2 hours earlier than normal, she had a successful and uneventful nap time and bed time last night so I'd say we're golden!

So my grand vision for Selah's room will be light pinks and gold; something she can have for awhile that doesn't scream 'teeny bopper' yet isn't so themed that it would turn away potential home buyers.  Don't worry...we're not moving anywhere right now but we also don't want to paint walls so wacko color that could in turn affect our house selling somewhere down the road.  Trust me...we walked away from potential houses due to the amount of money we'd spend on painting over bright oranges and greens all over the house.  Don't do it people!  But I digress.  Right now I'm deciding between 2 different Benjamin Moore paint colors: Orchid Pink and Touch of Pink.  We've gone down the rabbit hole that is Behr paint through Home Depot and it's always been nothing short of a letdown.  Never the right color, literally 5 different colors when we tried to get them to match a color swatch, etcetera etcetera.  We've never had one issue with our local Benjamin Moore store and the paint is within a $2 price difference and great quality and coverage.
 This Orchid Pink is showing up way darker on this post than the search engine but it's a super cute color.

As is the Touch of Pink.  I'm definitely getting swatches of these two to see which I like better but I'm leaning more toward Touch of Pink as of now.

A friend bought these suuuuper cute gold dot sheets for her infant months ago and that's kinda what kicked off my pink and gold idea.

However, my husband would probably straight up murder me if I spent $100+ on one sheet set for our 2 year old so unless someone sees fit to gift me these, we'll be going with some not-as-awesome-but-still-cute, and more affordable, light pink sheets instead.

So now that we've got the wall color picked up (sort of), what to put on them?!  I've got that all figured out.  The one wall behind where her bed is going to be will be covered in these super cute gold vinyl dots.

Um, yes please!  Now let's just keep our fingers cross that these won't be a total waste of time and money thanks to the lovely orange peel texture on the walls.  Seriously, builders...why?  The 80's have long passed...give up the texture that no one likes and make all sorts of painting tasks a complete nightmare.  No texture, no texture!

I saw one of these tissue tassel garlands on Pinterest months ago and knew Selah had to have one...and more than likely, kiddo #2 will have one too when I do its room in a few months.
I plan on making one of these bad boys myself as I'm pretty crafty (if I do say so myself).  And also this awesome little dot garland!
Why do I spend so much time (and money, let's be honest) decorating a toddler's room?  Probably because my husband does not want tissue tassels and gold sparkly dot garlands adorning the walls behind his pillow.  Just a thought.  They don't really scream 'manly'.

And now for the last bit of decor that I have planned.  Who knows if I'll add more at some point...maybe maybe not.  Who am I kidding...I can always find something to add to Selah's room!  I found a chandelier for sale in our neighborhood and while right now it is a cheap, black came-with-the-home ugly builder special, I can picture it with the potential that it has.  Not sure if I'll spray paint it a light pink or go with a gold.  Stay tuned!

No comments