Prenatal Health...AKA How Many Pills Can You Cram in Your Mouth

Ask most women what vitamins they're taking while pregnant and I bet at least 75% of them will say a prenatal vitamin of some sort but that's usually about it.  And that's exactly all I was told to take while I was pregnant with Selah.  So this time around, I had started taking them when we first started trying to conceive bambino numero dos but was in for a healthy surprise upon my first appointment with our midwife.  Turns out, just a prenatal isn't all you should be doing for you and your baby during those 9 (actually 10) months.

So let's face it...not all vitamins are created equal.  I personally really like the Rainbow Light line of vitamins.  Selah takes the Kids' One Star chewable vitamins and I take the Prenatal One Multivitamin.  It's a one-a-day vitamin that's gentle on the stomach and you don't have to take it with food to avoid the nausea that some prenatal vitamins are known for.
These vitamins are food based, which you'll find in your better quality prenatal vitamins.

Next up, iron supplements.  Pregnant women can have a tendency to have low iron levels and you certainly don't want to have blood issues in the middle of delivering your little one.  These pills are super tiny and super affordable.  I learned the hard way last week when I'd gone a couple days without the pills because I'd run out that having low iron levels can make you light headed and you know, faint 'n stuff.  

I found these Omega 3 fish oil at Costco and for $21 for 180 pills, they're a good deal.  DHA is really important for the development of your little one and has been shown to help lower preterm labor risks so given my history, they're a good idea :)


I had already been taking these Vitamin D3 before I got pregnant this time and I've just continued taking them, obviously.  Vitamin D is good in that it not only helps develops baby's skeletal system but it's also good for the immune system.  Win win.

And last but not least, Natural Calm Plus Calcium powder.  Calcium is really important for mama because baby is pretty much just leaching it out of your bones which can contribute to osteoporosis...and we don't need that.  My midwife recommended this one in particular because it has Magnesium in it as well which is great for calming nerves and helps with muscle relaxation.  And since the uterus is kind of a huge muscle, we don't want it getting all uptight too soon now do we?
 
Yeah, this is a lot to swallow (that's what she said) but whatever I can do to help the little man grow strong and healthy and keep him in long enough, I'll do it!

No comments