A Realistic Look at Pain

As many pregnant women know, you have to drink a lot of water during those blessed 9 months (actually 10 months but that's a whole 'nother post) to make sure Junior has enough water to back paddle around in.  I found that I was not getting enough water when I was just drinking out of glasses during the day so I decided to pull out my trusty plastic jug that I got from the hospital when I had Selah because it A) is huge and shows the number of ounces in it and B) telling myself I only needed to drink 3 of said jugs of water instead of 8+ glasses was easier for me to wrap my mind around.  No, it's not aesthetically pleasing at all and Selah is way more interested in drinking out of the long straw than out of her own cup a mere inch away but, I've always found the pain scale on the side of it to be mildly humorous.


It's also a little, unrealistic, shall we say.  If I'm at a 10, you can bet I'm going to have more than a couple measly tears and a frowny face.  And yes, an 8 does in fact, Hurts Whole Lot.  I'm guessing these illustrations weren't critiqued for grammar.  Nor do I need to know the foreign words for pain.  Although it may come in handy next time I hit up my local nail salon and they get a little crazy with the cuticle nippers.  Hmmm.  Anyway, I laugh at this jug pretty much every time I use it reminded me of this awesome, more realistic pain scale someone sent my way right after I'd had Selah.  Behold the best pain scale ever known to man!
Slap this puppy on the side of hospital jugs and you'd be selling these in the gift shop.  I'd say #10 was more accurate for my car ride to the hospital just a few minutes before Selah popped out.  Yes, there was most definitely a bear mauling me in the truck during those 30 minutes.  Okay so maybe it wasn't that bad but way better than some Hurts Whole Lot and a face who looks like he maybe just has bad heartburn.

No comments